|For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
TENNILLE – A total of nine East Central Georgia counties gained significant maintenance, construction and safety upgrade projects totaling over $14 million in the June Georgia Department of Transportation (Georgia DOT) statewide awards.
Overall, Georgia DOT awarded 37 projects worth over $82 million for transportation investment last Friday.
The projects improving the East Central Georgia district are:
- Newton County:R. Snell Contractor, Inc. has the second highest valued contract award this month to build a new bridge and approaches on state Route (SR) 36 over the Yellow River. Funds for this project come from bridge bonds authorized by the Georgia Legislature. Traffic will use SR 162 and SR 212 as an off-site detour until the bridge is complete. Local traffic will be allowed along SR 36 up to the construction zone. The nearly $8 million dollar project has a completion date of May 31, 2018;
- Hancock County: Gregory Bridge Company will soon replace the SR 16 bridge over Little Shoulder Bone Creek located 8.6 miles northwest of Sparta. Traffic will be maintained during construction with a temporary detour bridge spanning the creek. The $2.4 million project has a completion date of April 30, 2018;
- Columbia County: R. Snell Contractor, Inc. will resurface 2.371 miles on SR 232 beginning east of SR 383 and extending to SR 104. The $989,000 project has a September 30, 2017 completion date;
- Dodge/Laurens County: Mid-States Striping, Inc. will upgrade standard signs and striping on approximately 26.4 miles of six Laurens County and 51.6 miles on 12 Dodge County roads. The $350,000 project has a May 31, 2017 completion date;
- McDuffie/Morgan County: Roadside Specialties, LLC will upgrade standard signs and striping on approximately 37.5 miles on five Morgan County and seven McDuffie County roads. The $500,000 project has a completion date of August 31, 2017;
- Oconee/Oglethorpe: Roadside Specialties, LLC will upgrade standard signs and striping on approximately 66.8 miles on 29 Oconee County and 52.2 miles on nine Oglethorpe County roads. This $620,000 project has a completion date of November 30, 2017;
- Richmond County: Protection Services, Inc. will upgrade pavement marking on 6.720 miles of Interstate 20 beginning at the Columbia County line and extending to South Carolina state line. The $1.2 million project has an August 30, 2017 completion date;
Information on schedules, lane closures and detours will be made available in advance of construction activities.
Georgia DOT recently announced plans for an active summer construction season and many of the newly-awarded projects are on that extensive list. Know before you go. For details about summer construction, visit 511ga.org.